Blue Christmas - when festive is no fun
Christmas can be the most painful time of year for the bereaved, isolated, lonely, for those in debt or with unhappy families.
How can your church make a difference for these people this year? At Christmas, we have the chance to be the tangible love of God, and bring something positive into a season that for some is anything but merry.
Here are some ways you could reach out to those in need this Christmas:
• Bake a batch of cookies and give them out to neighbours with a carol invite
• As a group visit your local nursing home to sing carols and eat mince pies
• Practise hospitality and invite someone extra to Christmas lunch
• Get involved with a local church-run night shelter
• Create a special service or time especially for those who have been bereaved, giving them space to acknowledge their grief. This is sometimes called ‘Blue Christmas’. Churches could also have a space within the church for people to write names of people and light a candle.
• Spread the word about support for those in debt from CAP (Christians Against Poverty), and support them with our cards (see them at cpo.org.uk/christmascards)
• Deliver flyers saying how your church can help this Christmas as a group. You could put up decorations, give lifts, have chats, do shopping, gift wrapping, food prep, or invite to a carol service.
This CPO range has been specially designed to help those who find Christmas a tricky time of year. The poster version of this design has large white margins so that people can write names and prayers for those who may be struggling. God cares for the hurting and we as a Church can do our best to support them.
Check out our Blue Christmas range here https://www.cpo.org.uk/range.aspx?range=5737&cat=1010&prod=C5737PP
Get more inspiring reading
We are continuing to produce seasonal 'mini magazines' and make them available for you to use offering encouraging, engaging content – still stories, still jargon-free, still designed to be given away, still free. Our latest, an 8-page issue for Easter 2019, is available now – order HERE from CPO.