Supernatural 'experienced personally' by majority of UK believers
More than half of all practising Christians in the UK claim to have experienced the supernatural in the past year, says a new survey ...
More than half of all practising Christians in the UK claim to have experienced the supernatural in the past year, according to a survey released this week.
Conducted by Christian Research to launch a new book Everyday Supernatural: Living a Spirit-Led Life without Being Weird by Mike Pilavachi and Andy Croft, the survey also reveals that one in four believe they experienced the supernatural as recently as the past week.
Key results in brief:
* Two in three (65 per cent) said they had had a personal experience of the supernatural
* More than half of those with an experience said it happened within the past year, one in four (24 per cent) within the past week
* Only five per cent do not believe in the supernatural
* Two thirds believe the supernatural may be caused by occult or evil forces as well as divine
The actual experiences of respondents ranged from a feeling of God’s presence during prayer, at communion or mass, to observance of physical effects of the supernatural or miracles. Several respondents reported being visited by angels. The great majority of experiences involved answered prayer and healing.
"I witnessed a lady's leg grow two inches in a matter of seconds, so it matched the length of her other leg," said one respondent. "This had to be seen to be believed, and was clearly an answer to prayer."
Two in every three (68 per cent) feel that any over emphasis on ‘miracles’ may give Christians a bad name – a view more strongly held by older people.
"Clearly, a significant number of people believe the supernatural should be a part of Christians everyday experience," said the book's co-author Andy Croft, "but they are also instinctively wary of overemphasising certain aspects of the supernatural.
"Everyday Supernatural aims to explain how and why the supernatural should be part of the lived experience of all believers. It gives biblical foundations and practical guidance, helping us come alive in the Spirit in our ordinary, everyday lives."
* The survey on the supernatural was conducted by Christian Research amongst 1,409 practicing Christians during the week beginning 10 July 2016.
* Everyday Supernatural: Living a Spirit-Led Life without Being Weird by Mike Pilavachi and Andy Croft is published by David C Cook (£9.99).
Get more inspiring reading
We are continuing to produce seasonal 'mini magazines' and make them available for you to use offering encouraging, engaging content – still stories, still jargon-free, still designed to be given away, still free. Our latest, an 8-page issue for Easter 2019, is available now – order HERE from CPO.