MPS, theologians and church leaders unite to fight global poverty
The fight against poverty is a unifying force within the UK Church, says Tearfund who have announced more Vice-Presidents joining the high-profile team ...
The fight against poverty is a unifying force within the UK Church, says Tearfund who have announced more Vice-Presidents joining the high-profile team.
A wide range of high-profile church leaders and Christians in the public eye publicly support Tearfund, sharing a vision to see people released from poverty through a worldwide network of local churches.
This year, they are joined by MPs, theologians and church leaders who together agree that the challenge of global poverty is one that the Church must tackle, both here in the UK and all around the world.
“This is a crucial year for the fight against poverty,” says Matthew Frost, Tearfund Chief Executive. “We have huge opportunities to speak truth to power when the G8 come to the UK this year, and to speak up for justice with and for the world’s poorest people.
“We’re honoured that we are joined by eminent Christians who are leaders in their field, and for whom we hold the utmost respect. The shocking injustice of extreme poverty, which means that one in eight people go to bed hungry even though there is enough food in the world for everyone, is something we must all join together to challenge, and I’m delighted that we have such a diverse range of high-profile supporters.”
The new Tearfund Vice-Presidents are:
· Rt Hon Caroline Spelman MP
· Rt Hon Stephen Timms MP
· Rev Dr Chris Wright, International Director, Langham Partnership
· Dr Krish Kandiah, Executive Director of England/Churches in Mission, Evangelical Alliance
· Rev Alan McWilliam, CLAN Chairman and Church of Scotland Minister
They join a team which includes:
· Dr Elaine Storkey (President)
· Lord & Lady Carey of Clifton, Lord Carey was Archbishop of Canterbury 1991-2002
· Steve Clifford, Director of the Evangelical Alliance
· Rev John and Anne Coles, leaders of the New Wine network
· Rev Celia Apeagyei-Collins, Founder and CEO Rehoboth Foundation
· Roger Forster, Senior Leader & Founder Ichthus Christian Fellowship
· Rev Elfed Godding, Director of the Evangelical Alliance Wales
· Rev Nicky Gumbel, Vicar of Holy Trinity Brompton and pioneer of the Alpha course
· Rev Katei Kirby, former CEO of ACEA (African and Caribbean Evangelical Alliance), now working with the Methodist Church
· Rt. Rev Harold Miller, Bishop of Down and Dromore, Church of Ireland
· Rev Siew-Huat Ong, Senior Pastor of Chinese Church in London
· Rev Mike Pilavachi, Co-founder and leader of Soul Survivor
Get more inspiring reading
Our print magazine for INSPIRE is currently on hold while we explore new funding options for a relaunch later this year. If you'd like to be kept up to date with developments, ready to order the new title once it's available, email firstname.lastname@example.org