More Than Gold – January 2012 – Torch Relay and your church
The countdown to the 2012 Games will bring the Olympic torch close to your community. MORE THAN GOLD outline how you can make the most of it ...
The 70 days leading up to the opening of the 2012 Games sees the Olympic flame carried the length and breadth of the UK – in a massive cavalcade involving a team of 8,000 torchbearers.
This Torch Relay will stop morning and evening at 140 communities, weaving its way through many more. As a result, most of the population will be in travelling distance of this great spectacle.
Why is the Torch Relay important for churches? Each community where the Torch Relay stops is expected by the organising committee of London 2012 to give it a spectacular welcome. This could involve entertainment, shows and concerts with a local flavour.
Most local authorities will welcome the help of churches, particularly via
- Creative and performing arts – using their own talent or bringing it in from outside the area
- Hospitality – including being part of the One Million Cups of Water programme
- Volunteers – from crowd control to specialist advice and help
Where will the Torch Relay go?
See below for the major overnight stops. For a list of all 1,018 communities through which the Torch will pass, go to http://www.morethangold.org.uk/uploads/file/UK_wide_Communities_on_the_route.pdf
There are also full details at www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelaymap
HELPING CHURCHES GET READY
To help churches get ready for the Torch visiting or passing through their community, there will be:
- A handbook of ideas as a free resource in partnership with Traidcraft, showing what churches can do regardless of whether their village, town or city is a major stop or just on the route
- A local task force is being set up in each town where the Torch is to stop to help run community events that support the official celebrations. Those interested should e-mail More Than Gold at firstname.lastname@example.org
- With an eye on the issue of social justice, a fairtrade Hospitality Kit will be available for churches to buy. What is your church planning to do? Let us know by mailing email@example.com
FOLLOW THE FLAME
The spectacular Torch Relay will pass through over 1,000 villages, towns and cities during the 70 days before the Games start. This will bring it within 10 miles of almost the whole population.
The Torch Relay will stop overnight for major local events to celebrate its arrival. The venues for these are:
East Midlands: Derby, Leicester, Lincoln, Nottingham
East of England: Cambridge, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Luton, Norwich, Peterborough
London: Bexley, Ealing, Haringey, Waltham Forest, Wandsworth, Westminster
Northern Ireland: Belfast, Derry~Londonderry, Newry, Portrush
North East: Alnwick, Durham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle
North West: Blackpool, Bolton, Bowness-on-Windermere, Carlisle, Chester, Isle of Man, Liverpool, Manchester
Scotland: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Isle of Lewis, Orkney, Shetland
South East: Brighton and Hove, Dover, Guernsey, Guildford, Jersey, Hastings, Maidstone, Oxford, Portsmouth, Reading, Southampton
South West: Bournemouth, Bristol, Cheltenham, Exeter, Land’s End, Plymouth, Salisbury, Taunton, Weymouth and Portland
Wales: Aberystwyth, Bangor, Cardiff, Swansea
West Midlands: Birmingham, Coventry, Stoke-on-Trent, Worcester
Yorkshire and Humber: Cleethorpes, Hull, Leeds, Sheffield and York.
Much more including resources and advice is available at http://www.morethangold.org.uk
Get more inspiring reading
You can order our printed INSPIRE magazine in bundles of 10 for your church. Get encouraged by stories of God at work in the UK and around the world – and it's great for giving away to those on the edge of church, too! Order FREE* for your church (*we welcome an annual donation towards our costs).